Buford and Glen Park

Buford (later Glen Park); 19-49-27-w4; Leduc County; Hamlet (from Place Names: Alberta GenWeb)

From Frontier Days in Leduc and District : 65 years of progress, 1891-1956:

  • Mrs. John Eklund’s story called “First Buford, then Glen Park” explains that Buford was originally a settlement at a location called Cache Creek. Buford was moved to the railway line, a few miles north, in about 1928. The original settlement then became known as Glen Park
  • “Andersons – Buford Pioneers” is the story of L.O. Anderson who ran the grocery store and post office in Buford/Glen Park.
  • “Dahls Broke Land in Buford” is the story of John Dahl, who arrived in Buford in about 1899. He helped with the establishment of a school, which was named Kulm after the settlement in North Dakota that he had previously lived in.

Hamlet of Buford:
Buford is a hamlet in central Alberta, within Leduc County. It is located 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) south of Highway 39, 23 kilometres (14 mi) east of Leduc. Latitude 53°14’51″N and longitude 113°55’51″W.

From Pioneer Reflections by the Buford 4-H Horticultural and Clothing Clubs:

From A Patchwork of Memories of Thorsby and District:

  • Wanda Markstedt submitted the story “Hamlet of Buford” (P.835-836). The siding of Buford got its name from the Buford Post Office which was located in Anderson’s Store (Glen Park.) The United Grain Grower’s built an elevator, then the first Buford Store was built. After that, the Pioneer Grain Company built an elevator. In 1935, the Federal Grain Co. built an elevator. In 1938, a second store was started. Albin Markstedt bought land on the road frontage, and sold lots. This is where most of Buford is now situated. (You’ll have to borrow the book from someone to read the rest of Buford’s history!)