Category Archives: History

Municipal District of Liberty

In 1933, the Glen Park Cemetery was in the Municipal District of Liberty (#489). There were 1000 resident farmers, and the population was about 5000 people.

Liberty consisted of:
The east 2 sections of Range 28, Range 27, Range 26 and Range 25
Township 50 (except where it lies nouth of the North Saskatchewan River), Township 49 and Township 48

MD of Liberty

Schooling in Liberty: In 1884, the Council of Education of the North-West Territories was established. The Department of Education of the North-West Territories was established in 1901,

Liberty included these School Districts: (Colored text is a link to the source of some or all of the information)

Cohne Dale S.D. # 2144; 1-50-26 W4; 8 Mar 1910
Conjuring Creek S.D. # 415; NE 13-49-27 W4
Conjuring Lake S.D. # 1758; 1-48-26-W4, 1908
Dahlgreen S.D. # 516; 27-49-26-W4, 1899
Golden Glow S.D. # 1800; SW-17-48-24-W4, 1908- 1953
Great West S.D. # 486; 24-50-25 W4; 4 Mar 1899
Greenthal S.D. # 479; 36-48-25-W5, 1898
Halicz S.D. # 1500; 28-50-26 W4; 25 May, 1906
Jordan Hill S.D. # 720; 28-49-25 W4; 30 Jul 1902
Kulm S.D. # 557; SW 32-48-27 W4; 1900; moved to NW 29-48-27 W4
Lake Centre S.D. # 4643; SW 16-48-27 W4; 1934
Leduc S.D. # 297; 26-49-25 W4; 23 Oct 1893
Michigan Centre S.D. # 509; SE 2-49-26;
Progress S.D. # 1009; 24-48-28 W4; 11 Apr 1904
Riverford S.D. # 3602; 23-50-27 W4; 28 Jan, 1918
Rose Hill S.D. # 459; 1-50-27 W4; 2 Feb 1898; changed to Calmar
Spruce Dale S.D. # 314; 29-50-25 W4; 13 April, 1894; – (later transferred to Great West)
Telford S.D. # 1355; NE-10-48-26-W4, 1905-1953
Weed Creek S.D. No 2339; 36-48-1 W5; 24 Dec 1910
West Union S.D. No 753; 4-49-25-W4, 1902
West Liberty S.D. No 545; SW 34-47-25 W4; 24 Mar 1900
Wiesenthal S.D. No 679
Wilton Park S.D No 508; 17-50-27 W4; 9 May, 1899
Willow Creek S.D. No 529; 28-49-27 W4; 4 Jan 1900-1951

The Municipal District of Liberty was dissolved on January 1, 1944 when Leduc County was formed.

Sources: Population Data Alberta 1933
Pioneering with a Piece of Chalk

A 1903 amendment of the Local Improvement Ordinance allowed local improvement districts to include between 3 and 6 townships. In 1912, with the passing of the Rural Municipality Act, the Province of Alberta created the Department of Municipal Affairs. The Act allowed 9 townships to apply for incorporation as a rural municipality as long as the land contained 1 person/square mile
Provincial Archives of Alberta

*Note: This data was gathered from old sources – errors are possible!

Buford and Glen Park

Buford (later Glen Park); 19-49-27-w4; Leduc County; Hamlet (from Place Names: Alberta GenWeb)

From Frontier Days in Leduc and District : 65 years of progress, 1891-1956:

  • Mrs. John Eklund’s story called “First Buford, then Glen Park” explains that Buford was originally a settlement at a location called Cache Creek. Buford was moved to the railway line, a few miles north, in about 1928. The original settlement then became known as Glen Park
  • “Andersons – Buford Pioneers” is the story of L.O. Anderson who ran the grocery store and post office in Buford/Glen Park.
  • “Dahls Broke Land in Buford” is the story of John Dahl, who arrived in Buford in about 1899. He helped with the establishment of a school, which was named Kulm after the settlement in North Dakota that he had previously lived in.

Hamlet of Buford:
Buford is a hamlet in central Alberta, within Leduc County. It is located 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) south of Highway 39, 23 kilometres (14 mi) east of Leduc. Latitude 53°14’51″N and longitude 113°55’51″W.

From Pioneer Reflections by the Buford 4-H Horticultural and Clothing Clubs:

From A Patchwork of Memories of Thorsby and District:

  • Wanda Markstedt submitted the story “Hamlet of Buford” (P.835-836). The siding of Buford got its name from the Buford Post Office which was located in Anderson’s Store (Glen Park.) The United Grain Grower’s built an elevator, then the first Buford Store was built. After that, the Pioneer Grain Company built an elevator. In 1935, the Federal Grain Co. built an elevator. In 1938, a second store was started. Albin Markstedt bought land on the road frontage, and sold lots. This is where most of Buford is now situated. (You’ll have to borrow the book from someone to read the rest of Buford’s history!)